Formed at Penrith (HQ), Carlisle, Kendal and Workington by the Earl of Lonsdale and an Executive Committee. In May 1915 the battalion moved to Prees Health and was attached to the 97th Brigade in the 32nd Division. In June it moved to Wensleydale and later to Fovant in August, being taken over by the War Office on the 27 August 1915.
The battalion landed at Boulogne on 23 November 1915 and spent the next two years and eight months in France and Flanders. On 10 May 1918 the battalion was reduced to cadre strength, with surplus personnel transferred to 1/5th Battalion of the Regiment. Three days later it was transferred to the 66th (2nd East Lancashire) Division and on 31 July 1918 the battalion was eventually disbanded.